1. I tidy the garden for winter (or rather, tidy a bit of it, what I can manage in my cold-hampered state). As I stack terracotta pots in the greenhouse, I find a hidden cucumber amongst the limp leaves. I split it open lengthwise, and with my fingers, scope out the core to check if […]
1. That super short blissful moment after a sneeze, when the pressure in my sinuses reduces a little before it regroups again. 2. To return to a beloved old game and to remember the tricks to playing it. 3. We’re too sleepy to do anything other than cuddle up on the sofa.
1. Next door’s cat – and her magnificent tail – trots down the path. She’s some way away from us but her crisp black and white fur stands out against the autumnal browns and fading greens. 2. A dog suddenly appears at the top of the slope – it’s Friendly Black Dog. It rushes over […]
1. Another just-for-the-daylight visit to the allotments. I listen to stories of pampered geese and wild turkeys on the attack as I potter, digging up weeds and sowing a few seeds that’ll overwinter, providing us with sweet smells and tasty beans next spring. 1b. On the walk back, I look over the valley to the […]
1. I sit on Kaufman’s window seat and crochet chevrons. The yellow leaves hanging on the very ends of branches keep catching my eye. 2. Leftover noodles for lunch. Yum. 3. John points at an oak tree on the other side of the cutting: four squirrels pause in their chasing to watch us cross. 3. […]
1. Lily likes having small humans visit – they drop crumbs and bits of cheese for her to hoover up. She also likes having a bigger pack for her walk – she runs along with Z and when a small terrier approaches, she is happy to play. 1b. Everyone laughs when she jumps in the […]