1. John cooks my scrambled eggs longer, even though it pains him to do so. 2. The sweet firmness of the chargrilled courgette. 3. A new spin on an old game. It gets a little silly.
1. It looks like it’s going to rain as we leave the house but it doesn’t. The sky gets clearer and brighter as we work. 1b. The chickens pull at the bolted early lettuce – at least someone is getting something out of it. 2. Lily walks up the stream. The tinkle of splashes as […]
1. It’s two years today since we got the cats – Tilda celebrates by going missing for 24 hours. We – me, John, Lily and Strange – go out into the woods to call for her. I don’t know if it helped but Tildy is waiting for us when we get home. 1b. As always, […]
A hugely disappointing day: the planning application we’ve been fighting against for eight months was approved, despite being shown to be full of massive flaws. I try to be as positive as I can about my adopted hometown but today, I’m totally onboard with the naysayers who call the Council incompetent. 1. It’s the first […]
1. A head pops over the fence followed by a bag of food as a thank you. I explain that having a kitten to play with for a few days is thanks enough. 1b. Later, the little kitten runs around and around the table then jumps on my lap for a hug. 2. Strange races […]
1. I’d mentally blocked off the whole day to work on something but finish it within an hour. 2. Kaufman cuddles in next to me and looks up at me in that way which demands attention. 3. One of my favourite dinners – a dry but highly spiced curry thing, with chicken and paneer – […]