1. John is playing with the dog while I’m waking up. The game involves him throwing a sock on the bed and her overly-excitedly bounding over to pick it up. The sock lands on my belly and she lands on my legs with a heavy thump to pick it up. After a few throws elsewhere, […]
1. We share the delight of both getting our jackets – the same soft hoodie – for a sale price. (Her way of getting a bargain was very clever, mine was down to dumb luck.) 2. The tiniest dog on a thick, bright red lead. 3. To find something new after all this time and […]
1. I wasn’t convinced about the colour of the tiles when they were in the box but up on the wall, after hours of fighting with adhesive and tile trim, I love it. It’s vaguely reminiscent of the tiling in a Victorian public toilet – but in a good way. 2. Fur, specifically feline belly […]
1. The moment in decorating when the ends feels not necessarily imminent but at least possible. 2. I find envelope stuffing strangely pleasurable: refining my system until it is as efficient as possible so the task takes on a repetitive, meditative quality. 3. A cream-filled lemon muffin.
1. Having a bath, like watching a film, during daylight hours always feels remarkably decadent, even when it’s following many hours of decorating. 2. Whenever I’m doing any DIY, I listen to Radio 6: periods of renovation in this house always result in new (to us) music but this time an old favourite pops up […]
1. I spread out the newspaper on the floor so I can read it while I’m eating my breakfast. Then read it while I’m tickling doggy belly. Then read it while I’m kissing cat head. Boron purrs loudly. (That last statement is true of both then and now.) 2. Just when we’re both getting bored […]